Physicals and Immunizations
Physicals are required prior to admission for Pre-K through 5th grade ONLY. New physicals are required when students move from Pre-K to Kindergarten. Any form may be used but must cover all the components that are on the MCH-213G, School Entrance Physical Form (Spanish Version). This includes forms from other states.
Parents of all entering students (Pre-K – 12th grade) shall complete a health information form which shall be distributed by the local school divisions. This is page 1 of MCH-213G, the physical form. Page 1 must be completed in its entirety for every enrollment, including both areas for signature of parent/guardian at the bottom of the form.
Exceptions for requiring a physical at time of enrollment:
- Homelessness – must work on obtaining a physical and can receive assistance from the NPS Homeless Coordinator and School Nurse
- Foster care – must be completed within 30 days of entry with the help from the social services agency
- Religious reasons – parent/guardian must provide a written statement that “to the best of his/her knowledge, the child is in good health and free from any communicable or contagious disease.”
All immunizations must be current and submitted at the time of registration. Enrollment and attendance can be delayed if compliance with immunization requirements is not met.
- DTaP/DTP – 4 doses, with at least one dose on or after the 4th birthday
- Polio - 4 doses, with at least one dose on or after the 4th birthday
- MMR – 2 doses: the 1st dose at age 12 months or older; the 2nd dose prior to kindergarten entry
- Hepatitis B - A series of three vaccines. The third dose must not have been given before 6 months old.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) - 2 doses: the 1st dose at age 12 months or older; the 2nd dose prior to school entry, unless a history of chickenpox disease or lab tests are provided by a licensed qualified physician or licensed nurse practitioner
- Hepatitis A – 2 doses: the 1st dose at 12 months of age or older. This is for kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade only.
- Tdap (Booster) - For all rising 7th graders and new enrolling 8th -12th graders
- HPV - For all rising 7th graders, at least one dose is required prior to entering 7th grade. Parents and guardians may elect for their child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
- Meningococcal Conjugate (MenACWY) Vaccine - 2 doses: the 1st dose should be administered prior to entering 7th grade. The final dose should be administered prior to entering 12th grade. Students that are rising 10th – 12th graders for the 2023-2024 school year will be grandfathered in and will only need one dose prior to 12th grade entry.
Exceptions for requiring immunizations at the time of enrollment:
- Military – if a student presents with no record, military parents have up to 30 days from the date of enrollment to obtain any immunizations required by the receiving state and provide proof of immunization. (This is for immunizations ONLY and does NOT apply to the physical requirement.)
- Homelessness – must work on obtaining immunizations and can receive assistance from the NPS Homeless Coordinator and School Nurse
- Foster Care – must be completed within 30 days of entry with the help from the social services agency
- Religious Exemption – must submit the Religious Exemption Form that has been signed by the parent/guardian and notarized. This form is required only once, does not expire and may be revoked by the parent/guardian at any time.
- Medical Exemption – a written statement is provided from a physician or licensed nurse practitioner that, in his/her professional judgment, all or part of the immunization requirements are contraindicated.
Any child whose immunizations are incomplete may be admitted conditionally if documentation is provided, at the time of enrollment, that the child has received at least one dose of the required immunizations and has a written schedule for completing the remaining doses within 90 days. If the student requires more than two doses of hepatitis B vaccine, the conditional enrollment period shall be 180 calendar days.
This does not mean that if the child is overdue for a vaccine that they can be admitted. Vaccines must be current and the period of conditional enrollment is for children that are current and working towards catching up on the required vaccine schedule.
Questions and the need for further clarification of immunization requirements may be directed to your zoned school’s nurse.
As per the MCH-213G, all children should be screened for risk factors for tuberculosis (TB) or symptoms of active TB disease prior to school entry. All children with symptoms should receive further evaluation with a chest x-ray, and/or other examinations as appropriate to rule out active disease.
Screening is especially important for any foreign-born student or a student that has resided or traveled to a country with an elevated TB rate for ≥ 3 months. A list of countries with an elevated TB rate is available through the school nurse. The school nurse must complete a TB Risk Assessment Form for any foreign student that is enrolling. This is to be completed during the enrollment process.
Health Requirements for School Entry
- Preschool – Up-to-date/age-appropriate immunizations and a complete physical within 1 year of entry
- New Enrollees / Kindergarten - 5th grade – Complete physical within 1 year of entry into
kindergarten and mandatory immunizations
- Kindergarten – DTaP #4, IPV #4, Hep B #3, MMR #2, Varicella #2, Hep A #2
- 7th grade – Tdap, HPV, and MenACWY #1
- 12th grade – MenACWY #2
Local Doctor’ Offices and Clinics
CMG Pediatric Associates
Granby – (757) 640-0022
Kempsville – (757) 466-6582
CMG Pediatric Specialist
DePaul – (757) 489-3551
Kempsville – (757) 461-6342
Tidewater Pediatric Consultants
Wards Corner Pediatrics
North Shore Pediatrics
Velocity Urgent Care – Physicals only
Little Creek Road – (757) 772-6122
Wards Corner, Granby Street – (757) 702-8101
Hampton Roads Community Health Consortium (HRCHC)
CHKD General Pediatric Services
CHKD General Academic Pediatrics
Norfolk City Health Department
830 Southampton Avenue