Out-of-District Transfers


    Click here for the Out-of-District Transfer (ODT) Permit Portal Scribbles.

    The Out-of-District portal will open July 1, 2024- July 31, 2024 for the 2024-2024 SY. 


    ODT Criteria

    • Before an ODT Permit Request can be considered, your child must be enrolled in his/her zoned school.
    • If the reason for your request is child care or the victim of a crime, you must provide the required documentation listed on the form. Incomplete requests are not accepted.

    Required Documentation (determined by the reason for request):

    • Child Care – (Elementary and Middle School Students only) A notarized statement from the child care provider that verifies the student's attendance/enrollment along with verification of work hours on the employer's stationery.
    • Moving from one school attendance zone to another within the City of Norfolk during the school year (new address verification documents)
    • Victim of a crime – requires documentation from court or police

    The Department of Student Support Services (DSSS) does NOT accept ODT permit requests for the following schools/programs:

    • Pre-School - Early Learning Title I
    • Academy for Discovery at Lakewood (Application process at the school)
    • Southside STEM Academy at Campostella
    • Crossroads Lottery - (Processed at school)
    • Chesterfield Academy (Application - Processed at school)
    • Ghent - (Application - Processed at school)
    • Academy of International Studies at Rosemont
    • Specialty Programs (example: IB program, Dodson Scholars, ESL (Application - processed at the school)
    • Athletic Placements
    • Special Education Placement (Special Education Department)
    • Madison Alternative
    • McKinney Vento - Ta-Tanisha Walton -Early Learning and Title I
    • Norfolk Technical School
    • Open Campus
    • Granby Evening School
    • Madison
    • Ruffner

    * If the school you desire is not listed in the dropdown menu, we do not have available space at that school/grade for out-of-district students. 

    If your ODT is approved, please be prepared to verify your at the school with the appropriate address verification documents:

    Proof of Residence – Only 1 item is required from the list below (DMV identification card or driver’s license is not an acceptable form of address verification) Current Utility Bill – Power, gas, water or sanitation bill must list the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) name and the address of residence.


    Mortgage Statement or Current Lease – must list the name and contact information of the landlord/homeowner, address of the property, date of occupancy or current date, amount of rent paid, renter’s name (parent(s)/legal guardian(s), and contact information on company letterhead. (Don't hesitate to contact the school for further assistance.)

    It is a Class 4 misdemeanor to knowingly make a false statement concerning a child's residency in a particular school division or school attendance zone if the purpose is to avoid tuition or to enroll a student in a school outside the attendance zone in which the student resides.