Norfolk’s schools educate approximately 27,000 students every day, from pre-kindergarten through grade 12. Full-day preschool classrooms ensure that 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds enter school with critical early literacy and numeracy skills.
NPS has an astounding array of academically challenging programs from which to choose, including five middle school specialty programs, five high school specialty programs, three K-8 choice schools, one 3-8 school, two Pre-K-2 schools, two 3-5 schools, and one Pre-K-8 school.
NPS is proud of its 2,598 classroom teachers, who focus on helping students achieve at high levels. Our teachers are led and inspired by 57 principals and site directors. NPS employs close to 4,773 full-time staff members.
The mission of Norfolk Public Schools, the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community, is to ensure that all students maximize their academic potential, develop skills for lifelong learning and are successful contributors to a global society, as distinguished by:
- Courageous advocacy for all students
- Family and community investment
- Data-driven personalized learning
- Strong and effective leadership teams
- Shared responsibility for teaching and learning
- Access to rigorous and rewarding college and career readiness opportunities
Board & Division Priorities
- Ensure full accreditation
- Increase academic achievement of all students
- Improve climate, safety & attendance
- Become a School Board of Distinction
- Promote Norfolk Public Schools to reflect outstanding accomplishments of staff, teachers and students
- Develop and coordinate a capital improvement plan for facilities and technology to enhance teaching and learning
- Attract, retain, and help to develop strong academic families and highly qualified teachers and staff