Norfolk Public Schools' department of School Nutrition is one of the state's premier school food service operations. The department is devoted to customer service and providing nutrition integrity for all school meals. School breakfast, lunch, and supper are consistent with the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, and allowance is provided for student preferences and tastes. Each day, School Nutrition serves more than 32,000 high-quality, nutritious meals to help improve student learning.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020 through March 20, 2020 and continuing Monday through Friday of the following week, March 23-27, 2020 School Nutrition will be serving cold grab n' go from 12 schools and off a school bus at three community/recreation centers. Each day one complete breakfast and one complete lunch will be provided free of charge to all children, 18 years old or younger in one easy to grab bag. Children must be present to receive a meal. One bag per child per day.
Meal sites were selected based on geographical area that will represent and cover the entire city. Meal distribution will occur either at the front of the building or in the bus drop-off loop.
School sites will serve meals from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm.
The school sites are:
- Azalea Gardens Middle (7721 Azalea Garden Road, 23518)
- Booker T. Washington High (1111 Park Avenue, 23504)
- Camp Allen Elementary (501 C Street, 23505)
- Coleman Place Elementary (2445 Palmyra Street, 23513)
- James Monroe Elementary (520 W. 29th Street, 23508)
- Lake Taylor School (1380 Kempsville Road, 23502)
- Norview Elementary (6401 Chesapeake Boulevard, 23513)
- Oceanair Elementary (600 Dudley Avenue, 23503)
- P. B. Young (543 E. Olney Road, 23510)
- Southside STEM Academy at Campostella (1106 Campostella Road, 23523)
- St. Helena Elementary (903 S. Main Street, 23523)
- Suburban Park Elementary (310 Thole Street, 23505)
The school bus will deliver meals to the following locations and specified times:
- Titustown Recreation Center (7545 Diven St 23505) from 11:00 am – 11:30 am
- Huntersville Community Center (830 Goff St, 23504) from 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm
- Grandy Village Recreation Center (3017 Kimball Terrace, 23504) from 1:00 pm – 1:30 pm
If you will need a meal to accommodate any special dietary needs please contact School Nutrition at 757-628-2760. Special dietary needs will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
From east to west our Norfolk Public Schools family is the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community. In September we are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month through our Taste of Norfolk Public Schools! This month we are serving Chicken Afritada served over brown rice for a taste from a Filipino kitchen, submitted by one of our teachers!
Recipe submissions are still be accepted for the 2019-20 School Year. To submit your recipe you may either print out our Recipe Card and submit to your school’s School Nutrition Manager or fill-out our online Recipe Card form by March 29. Recipes should include the name, cultural region, serving size, ingredients, and cooking instructions as well as why this recipe is important to your family. Multiple recipe submissions are encouraged!
Recipes will be adapted to meet Federal School Nutrition standards. Please call the School Nutrition Office, 757-628-2760 if you have any questions.