Norfolk Public Schools' department of School Nutrition is one of the state's premier school food service operations. The department is devoted to customer service and providing nutrition integrity for all school meals. School breakfast, lunch, and supper are consistent with the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, and allowance is provided for student preferences and tastes. Each day, School Nutrition serves more than 32,000 high-quality, nutritious meals to help improve student learning.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
School Nutrition is serving grab n' go meals at seventeen (17) schools and three (3) Community & Recreation centers in response to the needs of our families during COVID-19. Meals are distributed Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and cover breakfast and lunch for the whole week. On Monday, children will receive meals for Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, children will pick up meals for Wednesday and Thursday. On Fridays, children will receive meals for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Meals will be a mixture of pre-packaged, ready to eat items as well as "heat and eat" items. Meal bags will come with preparation, food safety, and allergy information. Families can also find this information on School Nutrition's website below.
Meal sites were selected based on geographical area that will represent and cover the entire city. Meal distribution will occur either at the front of the building or in the bus drop-off loop.
School sites will serve meals from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm.
The school sites are:
- Azalea Gardens Middle (7721 Azalea Garden Road, 23518)
- Booker T. Washington High (1111 Park Avenue, 23504)
- Camp Allen Elementary (501 C Street, 23505)
- Coleman Place Elementary (2445 Palmyra Street, 23513)
- Crossroads School (8021 Old Ocean View Road, 23518)
- James Monroe Elementary (520 W. 29th Street, 23508)
- Lake Taylor School (1380 Kempsville Road, 23502)
- Little Creek Primary (7901 Nancy Dr, 23518)
- Norview Elementary (6401 Chesapeake Boulevard, 23513)
- Ocean View Elementary (350 W Government Ave, 23503)
- Oceanair Elementary (600 Dudley Avenue, 23503)
- P. B. Young (543 E. Olney Road, 23510)
- Southside STEM Academy at Campostella (1106 Campostella Road, 23523)
- St. Helena Elementary (903 S. Main Street, 23523)
- Suburban Park Elementary (310 Thole Street, 23505)
- Tanners Creek (1335 Londale Dr, 23513)
- Tidewater Park (1045 E Brambleton, 23504)
The school bus will deliver meals to the following locations and specified times:
- Titustown Recreation Center (7545 Diven St 23505) from 11:00 am – 11:30 am
- Huntersville Community Center (830 Goff St, 23504) from 12:00 pm – 12:30 pm
- Grandy Village Recreation Center (3017 Kimball Terrace, 23504) from 1:00 pm – 1:30 pm
If you will need a meal to accommodate any special dietary needs please contact School Nutrition at 757-628-2760. Special dietary needs will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
From east to west our Norfolk Public Schools family is the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community. In September we are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month through our Taste of Norfolk Public Schools! This month we are serving Chicken Afritada served over brown rice for a taste from a Filipino kitchen, submitted by one of our teachers!
Recipe submissions are still be accepted for the 2019-20 School Year. To submit your recipe you may either print out our Recipe Card and submit to your school’s School Nutrition Manager or fill-out our online Recipe Card form by March 29. Recipes should include the name, cultural region, serving size, ingredients, and cooking instructions as well as why this recipe is important to your family. Multiple recipe submissions are encouraged!
Recipes will be adapted to meet Federal School Nutrition standards. Please call the School Nutrition Office, 757-628-2760 if you have any questions.