Norfolk Public Schools is committed to the optimal development of every student and believes students have the opportunity to achieve personal, academic, developmental and social success in a positive, safe and health-promoting learning environment, in every setting.
Using evidence-based strategies, the School Board of the City of Norfolk has established the following goals to promote student wellness:
- Access to healthy foods throughout the school day ‒ both through reimbursable school meals and other foods available throughout the school campus‒ in accordance with Federal and state nutrition standards;
- Deliver quality nutrition education that helps students develop lifelong healthy eating behaviors;
- Provide opportunities to be physically active before, during and after school;
- Engage schools in nutrition and physical activity promotion and other activities that promote student wellness;
- Encourage and support school staff to practice healthy nutrition and physical activity behaviors in and out of school;
- Engage the community in supporting the work of the division in creating continuity between school and other settings for students and staff to practice lifelong healthy habits; and
- Establish and maintain an infrastructure for management, oversight, implementation, communication about and monitoring of the policy and its established goals and objectives;and
- Coordinate wellness with other aspects of school management, including the School’s Improvement Plan, when appropriate.
To learn more about the School Wellness Policy click here or explore the other topics on this website to see how School Nutrition is supporting School Wellness.