Student Records & Record Requests

  • The Department of Student Support Services is still processing records requests during the COVIC-19 panadamic. Please mail all request to 800 E. City Hall Avenue Norfolk, VA 23510.  Allow at least 14 business days for processing.  




    The DSSS can assist you in obtaining your school transcript and other school records. The requestor must complete the “Record Request Form” in DSSS if eighteen (18) years old or older, or if the requestor has been out of school for a period of four to five years. The return address and fax number are printed on the request form. Please submit a photo I.D., Social Security Card, or Birth Certificate. Please allow a minimum of ten business days to process the request.

    If the person whose records the customer is trying to receive is deceased, the requestor must present a death certificate. If the person whose records the customer is trying to receive is living, the requestor must present his/her personal I.D. and a Power of Attorney for adult eighteen (18) or older for customer’s records they are requesting.

    Requests from law firms do not require a subpoena. The student (parent/legal guardian) may ask the law firm to request the record for social security claim, disability claims, or medical. A signed release must be attached to the request from the law firm on official letterhead.

    The information required for this request is as follows:

    • Name the student used while in school
    • Name of last school attended
    • Date of birth
    • The destination to which DSSS is to mail the official copy of the record. This process takes a minimum of ten working days and there is no fee.


    Official transcripts are requested by employers, colleges/universities, and military. Official transcripts are mailed in a sealed envelope with the Norfolk Public Schools seal and stamp that can only be opened by the requestor. Unofficial transcripts are normally for personal use.

    The forms may be picked up and completed in the DSSS office, or you may download the form using the link below, and then mail or fax it.


    The family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students over 18 years of age ("eligible students") certain rights with respect to the student's educational records.  Please review the 2017-2018 Student Handbook including Standards of Student Conduct page 27 for details. NORFOLK PUBLIC SCHOOLS STUDENT HANDBOOK INCLUDING STANDARDS OF STUDENT CONDUCT