Web Link Disclaimer: Norfolk Public Schools provides links from external websites because of their potential interest or usefulness to the safe and positive school environment, an education community or the general public. The division attempts to monitor these sites on a regular basis. However, Norfolk Public Schools is not responsible for the content of any external site. Further, NPS by linking to other sites is not endorsing any product, practice, service, institution or provider, nor endorse view expressed or facts presented on these sites. NPS does not assume any legal liability for the accuracy, usefulness, or accuracy linked to or from this site.
- Pacer Center provides innovative resources for students, parents, educators, and others, and recognizes bullying as a serious community issue that impacts education, physical and emotional health, and the safety and well-being of students.
- STOMP Out Bullying. End the Hate...Change the Culture is the leading national nonprofit dedicated to changing culture for all students.
- Visit the STOMP Out Bullying. End the Hate...Change the Culture (Parent Page) for information and resources for parents of children being bullied.
- StopBullying.gov provides information from various government agencies on topics on "What is bullying?," "What is cyberbullying?," "Who is at risk?," "How to prevent bullying," and "Respond to Bullying."
- Protecting Our Muslim Youth from Bullying: The Role of an Educator - A resource article on bullying and Muslim students from the federal government website.
CYBERBULLYING AND INTERNET SAFETY
- How to Supervise Your Child Online - Tips on how to supervise your child's online activity
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CommonSense Media Cyberbullying Research Center Stopbullying.gov
DISABILITIES AND SPECIAL HEALTH NEEDS
Ability Path: Support for Parents of Children with Special Needs
Walk A Mile In Their Shoes: Bullying and the Child with Special Needs
- Stopbullying.gov: Bullying Tipsheet This federal government website provides information and resources for parents on bullying and youth with disabilities and special health needs.
LGBTQ AND GENDER
- Speak Up: Responding to Everyday Bigotry
- Advocates for Youth (AFY): LGBTQ Issues
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention: LGBTQ Youth Resources - resources from the CDC, other government agencies, and community organizations for LGBT Youth, their friends, educators, parents, and family members to support positive environments.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Teens: Facts for Teens and Their Parents from HealthyChildren.org
- Helping Families to Support Their LGBT Children from Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- org: Sexual Attraction and Orientation
- LGBTQ Resource List - information from the GLAAD for LGBT Youth, their friends, educators, parents, and family members to support positive environments.
- Parents, Families, Friends, and Allies of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Parents’ Influence on the Health of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Teens: What Parents and Families Should Know from the CDC's Division of Adolescent and School Health
- gov: Information for Parents
- The Trevor Project: Education and Resources for Adults
- Understanding Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity from the American Psychological Association : Schools, especially those wishing information about forming a Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) Club, may wish to use the resources for student workshops and/or share them with students.
NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24 hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis.
National Spanish Speaking Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 *Press 2
ONLINE CHAT OPTIONS
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP): The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is a voluntary health organization that offers The Crisis Text Line; free emotional support and information to teens. Text “START” to 741741 for access to trained specialists 24 hours a day.
- Crisis Textline
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project is a 24 hour crisis and suicide prevention helpline for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth. thetrevorproject.org/chat
SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND DATING VIOLENCE
Report: Crossing the Line - Sexual Harassment at School from AAUW.org—A guide for parents on how to stop sexual harassment in school
Resources for Parents on Educating Teens About Safe and Healthy Dating Relationships—Information regarding the warning signs of abusive and unhealthy relationships.