Required Registration Documentation

  • Birth Certificate – (Original or certified copy)
    If an original or certified copy cannot be obtained, the person enrolling the child must submit an affidavit, a sworn, notarized statement, affirming the child’s age and explaining the inability to present a certified copy of the birth certificate.

    Address Verification Documents (One of the following items below is required)
    Current power, water, sanitation, or gas statement with the parent’s or legal guardian’s name and current residence.  
    Mortgage statement or current lease, which must list the name and contact information of the landlord, address of property, date of occupancy or current date, amount of rent paid, and parent or legal guardian’s name listed as a renter.

    Immunization Records
    Specific immunization record requirements are listed under the Physicals and Immunizations section.

    NOTE: Immunization records must be submitted.  However, any child whose immunizations are incomplete may be conditionally admitted, if the parent or legal guardian provides documentation at the time of enrollment that the child has received at least one dose of the required immunizations and has a written schedule for completing the remaining doses within 90 days. If the student requires more than two doses of hepatitis B vaccine, the conditional enrollment period shall be 180 calendar days. Also, there are waivers or a conditional enrollment period provided for families who are in the military or who are homeless.

    Religious Exemption:

    • If the parent or legal guardian submits an affidavit to the school stating that the admiration of immunizing agents conflicts with the student’s religious tenants or practices
    • If the parent or legal guardian submits written certification from a licensed physician, licensed nurse practitioner, or a local health department that one or more of the required immunizations may be detrimental to the student’s health, indicating the specific nature and probable duration of the medical condition or circumstance that contraindicates immunization

    Physical – Health Form (Must contain the elements prescribed by the State Health Commissioner, does not require it to be on the School Entrance Health Form MCH 213G)

    The parent or legal guardian must provide, prior to admission, either a report of a comprehensive physical examination from a qualified physician, or a licensed nurse practitioner, or licensed physician assistant acting under the supervision of a licensed physician. The examination must be of the scope prescribed by the State Health Commissioner and must have been performed within 12 months before the date the student first enters the public school. In the alternative, students may provide records showing that they furnished such a report upon admission to another school or school division and provide the information that was contained in that report.

    A student who has been placed in a foster care placement (as defined in § 63.2-100 of the Code) by a local social services agency will be immediately enrolled in school, even if the placing social services agency is unable to produce the documents required for enrollment. Please refer to Enrollment of Students in Foster Care on the Virginia Department of Education’s website for additional information regarding the enrollment of these students.

    There are special provisions for homeless students as well as an exemption from the physical examination for students whose parents object for religious reasons.

    Custody or Final Court Order (If applicable)
    Proof of custody is not required of a natural parent if the student is living with him/her, unless there is an order in place.

    Expulsion Statement (If applicable)
    Children of military families, without documentation of immunizations, should be immediately enrolled and shall have up to 30 days from the date of enrollment to obtain immunizations required by the Commonwealth of Virginia.