An Overview On Registering Your Child
Norfolk Public Schools is truly the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community and we are delighted that you have chosen to enroll your child with us!
The first step in the process is to figure out what school your child is zoned to attend by using the Find My School link.
Once you have the school name, you will need to email the building principal for an appointment to begin the registration process. (NOTE: During COVID-19, Zoom appointments are also an option.) Currently, schools are accepting appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. You can find your principal’s contact information by going to our main page and clicking on the “Our Schools” dropdown in the upper right hand corner. From there, click on the selected school to go to that school’s home page. Once there, select “Contact Us.”
Next, download and complete the registration packet (you may also make arrangements to pick up a packet from your child’s zoned school), and begin gathering the following required registration documentation:
- Birth certificate
- Address verification documents
- School entrance physical and immunization certificate
- Most up-to-date immunization records
- Custody or final court order, if applicable
- Expulsion statement, if applicable
A registration packet and all required documentation must be provided at the time of enrollment with your child’s school. (IMPORTANT: Due to COVID-19, limited appointment times are being offered by doctors and the Virginia Department of Health. Please begin scheduling for physicals and immunizations now so registration of your child can be completed in a timely manner.)
You can return your completed registration packets and required documentation using one of the following options:
- In person during a scheduled appointment
- During a scheduled Zoom appointment (Parents/Guardians will need to show the required documentation via Zoom by holding it up in front of the camera. If there are any questions regarding the documents that are presented, the office manager may require that the document be submitted by e-mail, mail, or in person.)
- By e-mailing to your child’s zoned school scanned attachments of the completed packet, required documentation, and a current picture of your child.
Once these documents are submitted, staff will complete your child’s registration within seven days and be ready to welcome your family to the NPS family!
NOTE: NPS’ Department of Student Support Services and elementary schools do not process requests for 3-year-old and 4-year-old preschool students. Applications are processed by the NPS Department of Early Learning and Title I. Please visit our preschool program page to download an application today! You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or call 757-628-3944.