Norfolk Public Schools’ elementary staff is ready to help you with the registration process!
NOTE: Students entering kindergarten must turn 5 on or before September 30 of the year in which they are being enrolled.
Students turning 5 years old in October, November, or December may attend kindergarten depending on space availability. (Please see below for Registration Requirements for Early Entrance.)
The first step in the registration process is to figure out what school your child is zoned to attend by using the Find My School link.
Once you have the school name, you will need to email the building principal for an appointment to begin the registration process. (NOTE: During COVID-19, Zoom appointments are also an option.) Currently, schools are accepting appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. You can find your principal’s contact information by going to our main page and clicking on the “Our Schools” dropdown in the upper right hand corner. From there, click on the selected school to go to that school’s home page. Once there, select “Contact Us.”
Next, download and complete the registration packet (you may also make arrangements to pick up a packet from your child’s zoned school), and begin gathering the following required documentation:
- Your proof of residence/address (Mortgage statement, lease agreement, or current utility bill with your current address listed)
- Your child’s original or certified birth certificate
- Your child’s physical examination report dated within 12 months of beginning kindergarten
- Most up-to-date immunization records (Verified with the Virginia School Entrance Health Form or by a qualified health professional)
- Expulsion Statement, if applicable
- Completed registration packet
You can return your completed registration packets and required documentation using one of the following options:
- In person during a scheduled appointment
- During a scheduled Zoom appointment (Parents/Guardians will need to show the required documentation via Zoom by holding it up in front of the camera. If there are any questions regarding the documents that are presented, the office manager may require that the document be submitted by e-mail, mail, or in person.)
- By e-mailing to your child’s zoned school scanned attachments of the completed packet, required documentation, and a current picture of your child.
Once these documents are submitted, staff will complete your child’s registration within seven days and be ready to welcome your family to the NPS family!
REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS FOR EARLY ENTRANCE
Students turning 5 years old in October, November, or December may attend kindergarten on a space-available basis and under the following conditions:
- Able to demonstrate readiness
- Pay a tuition fee
- Follow entrance requirements
Parents interested in consideration should submit a letter requesting early entrance to:
Mr. Bruce Brady, Executive Director of Curriculum & Instruction
800 E. City Hall Avenue, Suite 1102
Norfolk, VA 23510
The letter should include the child's name, birthdate, and home school.
Upon receipt of the letter:
- A response will be forwarded to the parent outlining the conditions upon which an approval might be given (including the tuition requirement amount, enrollment based upon space availability, and readiness testing)
- Once approved, students may not be enrolled prior to the ninth date of school, in order to determine classroom space availability
- At that time, the school will notify the parent of date and time of any readiness testing that may be given
- A tuition payment must be made upon acceptance—the fee cannot be waived, however it can be pro-rated
Please contact Mr. Brady at 757-628-3898 for further questions about early entrance into kindergarten.