Instructional Focus: Comprehension
For the 2023-2024 school year, 100% of James Monroe scholars will make measurable progress in Reading, Math, and grade 5 Science and VA. Studies. Each scholar will improve reading comprehension as measured by PALS for PreK-2nd and Unit Assessment for 2nd-5th. Improved math comprehension will be measured using Unit Assessments for grades 2nd-5th. Grade 5 science will be measured using unit and quarterly assessments. 80% of scholars in grades 3rd-5th will be proficient or show growth in Reading, 80% will be proficient or show growth in Math, and 70% of grade 5 scholars will be proficient in Science and VA. Studies as measured by SOL Assessments.
At James Monroe Elementary School, we believe learning is the chief priority. All educators and stakeholders will help our scholars to achieve to their fullest potential. We will educate our scholars in a challenging, engaging, safe, and structured learning environment that provides equity for all learners. Our scholars will develop the skills and knowledge necessary to become productive citizens in an ever-changing society.
Five Goals for Achieving Equity and Excellence for All . . .
1) Work to improve students’ academic performance while integrating socialemotional learning into daily instruction.
2) Attract and retain highly qualified, effective teachers to teach our students.
3) Improve our aging infrastructure so that our students are educated in school buildings that are worthy of them.
4) Be more purposeful and strategic in developing and sustaining effective partnerships with our families and other community stakeholders.
5) Be more intentional in our efforts to foster a division-wide culture of caring.