Positive Behavioral Interventions & Support (PBIS)
What is Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)?
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is the framework of discipline for Norfolk Public Schools. This framework includes layers of support for academic, behavioral, social/emotional, and psychological needs. The PBIS framework layers support for all students based on data-driven needs using evidence-based practices. The PBIS framework relies on relationship building and the teaching of behavioral expectations.
What does PBIS emphasize?
- School-wide expectations for behavior
- Reinforcement of compliance with expectations
- Direct teaching of expectations
- Data-based decision making
- Continuum of discipline including remediation and alternative-to-suspension strategies
What are the four elements of PBIS?
What are the six guiding principles of the four elements of PBIS?
- Develop a continuum of scientifically based behavior and academic interventions and supports
- Use data to make decisions and solve problems
- Arrange the environment to prevent the development and occurrence of problem behavior
- Teach and encourage prosocial skills and behaviors
- Implement evidence-based behavioral practices with fidelity and accountability
- Screen universally and monitor student performance & progress continuously
What are the behavioral expectations for all Norfolk Public Schools?
Responsible, Respectful, and Safe
Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns about PBIS?
Renee Smith, M.Ed.
Department of Student Support Services
800 E. City Hall Ave
Norfolk, VA 23510