Return to Sports UPDATE & Upcoming Physical Information for Middle/High School Athletes
Middle school principals met this week to discuss 8th grade student participation in high school athletics.
Due to the uncertainty with opening middle school buildings, the principals voted unanimously, 6-0, to allow 8th grade students the opportunity to participate in high school athletics on the junior varsity level for the 2020-2021 school year.
Students can play if they meet academic criteria and are selected by the coach at their zoned school.
Student athletes must have an updated physical and complete the concussion education training and COVID-19 mitigation training. Each student athlete must be able to provide all documentation at the time of tryouts, or as requested by coaches.
Please contact the High School Athletic Director of your zoned school if you have any questions.
On behalf of the NPS Office of Athletics, we encourage all student athletes to visit their primary care physician for a comprehensive physical before competing in athletics. We do offer on-site physicals throughout the year (See latest schedule listed above) for individuals who cannot obtain a comprehensive physical. The cost is $20.00 (cash only). Please access the physical form (MS and HS links below) and fill out parts I, II, and IV prior to attending an onsite physical at one of our on-site locations. If any of the three parts are incomplete before attending an on-site physical, the student athlete will not be given a physical on that day. All completed physicals must be dated after May 1st, 2021.
The following guidelines are in place to ensure a safe experience for all:
- Masks are REQUIRED at all times.
- Maintain 6ft of physical distancing at all times.
- Temperature checks and COVID-19 symptom checklists will be conducted at the gate before admittance. If any symptoms are reported or a temperature of 100.4 or greater is found, there WILL BE NO ADMITTANCE.
- Once screening has been conducted and passed you will be given a ticket to give to the athletic trainer’s conducting the blood pressure and eye-testing portion of the physical examination.
- Drivers are asked to park in the designated lot outside of the facilities, only the persons who are being tested should leave the vehicle. We are asking student athletes to return to their vehicles and wait to limit exposure risk.
- Physical forms should be downloaded and completed ahead of time and upon arrival. Links can be found above the health and safety guidelines listed in this post, or you can visit www.nps.k12.va.us/athletics to print off the correct form.
- Money will be collected by the athletic trainers when the student gets their blood pressure taken.
**All NPS staff will be adhering to the appropriate parameters set forth by the CDC and VDOH.