The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) is appointed by the Norfolk School Board to advise the Board on issues related to providing services to students with disabilities and their families. The membership consists of:
- Parents, guardians, teacher(s) or family members of children with disabilities;
- Representatives of public agencies concerned with services for persons with disabilities;
- Citizens interested in meeting the educational needs of children with disabilities in special education programs in Norfolk Public Schools;
- Local school personnel who serve as consultants to the committee.
Purposes of the SEAC include:
- Advising the school division on the educational needs of students with disabilities;
- Submitting recommendations to the Superintendent for consideration by the School Board;
- Assisting the school division in developing long-range plans;
- Participating in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the educational needs of students with disabilities;
- Providing educational presentations for parents of students with disabilities;
- Hearing concerns of parents of students with disabilities.
Please contact Learning Support-Special Education Services -Avivah Smith-Evans at (757) 628-3950 for additional information.
If you are interested in becoming a member of SEAC, please email Mr. Matthew Moynihan, SEAC Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org; SEAC@nps.k12.va.us or contact Dr. Glenda Walter at (757) 628-3950.
To apply for membership to an advisory committee, individuals must fill out the application and submit it to the Clerk of the School Board by the established deadline. Applicants may be contacted by members of the School Board to learn more about the applicant’s background and interest in the issues of a particular committee. All applicants will be asked the same questions if contacted. The Board will act on committee membership applications in a timely manner.
You may complete an application online: https://www.npsk12.com//cms/module/selectsurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=132
SEAC Meeting Dates and Topics for 2020-2021:
1st Thursday of the month (unless otherwise noted)
All meetings are open to the public, and will be held at 6:00 pm at 800 E. City Hall Ave, 11th Floor, curriculum and instruction conference room unless otherwise noted.
Please contact us if you require special accommodations
SEAC Agenda and Minutes
Agenda March 12, 2020 (Canceled due to school closing)
Minutes February 6, 2020
November - Parent Training (IEP Ins and Outs) - No Business Meeting
October 2019 - No meeting
(rescheduled from Sept. 5 due to weather and school closings)