The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) is appointed by the Norfolk School Board to advise the Board on issues related to providing services to students with disabilities and their families. The membership consists of:
- Parents, guardians, teacher(s) or family members of children with disabilities;
- Representatives of public agencies concerned with services for persons with disabilities;
- Citizens interested in meeting the educational needs of children with disabilities in special education programs in Norfolk Public Schools;
- Local school personnel who serve as consultants to the committee.
Purposes of the SEAC include:
- Advising the school division on the educational needs of students with disabilities;
- Submitting recommendations to the Superintendent for consideration by the School Board;
- Assisting the school division in developing long-range plans;
- Participating in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the educational needs of students with disabilities;
- Providing educational presentations for parents of students with disabilities;
- Hearing concerns of parents of students with disabilities.
Please contact Learning Support-Special Education Services -Avivah Smith-Evans at (757) 628-3950 for additional information.
If you are interested in becoming a member of SEAC, please email Mr. Vashti Washington, SEAC Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Joy Richardson at (757) 628-3950.
Printable SEAC member application: SEAC Membership Application
SEAC Meeting Dates and Topics for 2018-2019:
2nd Thursday of the month (unless otherwise noted)
Business Meeting and Work Session. Secretary will be elected if there is a quorum. Annual plan will be reviewed if available.
Parent Training - IEP meeting Ins and Outs
Parent Training - Transition Planning
Business Meeting - Slate of Officers for SY19/20 Presented
Parent Training - Mental Health Awareness and Social Emotional Needs - Officers for SY 19/20 elected
All meetings are open to the public, and will be held at 6:00 pm at 800 E. City Hall Ave, 11th Floor
Please contact us if you require special accommodations