The Norfolk Public Schools Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) is organized and functions in accordance with state and federal requirements. The Committee’s functions include the following:
- Advise the local school division of needs in the education of children with disabilities;
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of children with disabilities;
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations regarding the education of children with disabilities to the division superintendent/designee for transmission to the local school board;
- Assist the local school division in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities for educational services;
- Review the policies and procedures for the provision of special education and related services prior to submission to the local school board; and
- Participate in the review of the local school division’s Special Education Annual Plan Application for Federal Flow-Through Funds, referred to as the Annual Plan.
Click Here To Apply
SEAC Guide: A guide for Local Special Education Advisory Committees in Virginia
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) SEAC Guide provides additional information for the local SEAC members and school division representatives regarding SEAC roles, functions, and member functions.
The Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia (the Virginia Regulations), 8 VAC 20-81-230 D, outline the following requirements for local advisory committee membership:
- A majority of the committee shall be the parents of children with disabilities or individuals with disabilities.
- The committee shall include one teacher.
- Additional local school division personnel (i.e., Senior Director for Special Education, coordinators, specialists, etc.) shall serve only as a consultant and administrative support to the committee. Additional school personnel other than appointed teacher members are not voting members.
The NPS SEAC is a group of citizen volunteers, appointed by the School Board of the City of Norfolk, and serve a three-year term. Members serve without compensation.
The NPS SEAC meetings are held at least four times in a school year according to the Virginia Regulations and are open to the public. Meetings are held at 6:00 p.m. at 800 E. City Hall Avenue, 11th Floor, Curriculum & Instruction Training Room unless otherwise noted. The specific location of each meeting is included on the agenda for each meeting. Each regular meeting includes a public comment period.
Speakers or those wishing to attend who need special accommodations, including an interpreter, must request needed accommodations at least two weeks (10 business days) prior to the meeting. For questions or more information regarding NPS SEAC or special education services, please contact the Department of Learning Support-Special Education Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (757) 628-3950.
June 1, 2023 May 4, 2023 April 6, 2023 March 2, 2023 February 2, 2023 January 5, 2023 December 1, 2022 November 3, 2022 Agenda (PDF) October 6, 2022 Agenda (PDF) September 1, 2022 Agenda (PDF)
2021-2022 (Note: NPS SEAC meetings for SY 2021-2022 will be held virtually or in-person as COVID-19 and efforts to implement appropriate safety migration efforts require. All regular SEAC business meetings, virtual or in-person, are open to the public and will be publically announced via this NPS SEAC website, social media, and other appropriate platforms.)
June 2, 2022 Agenda (PDF) May 5, 2022 April 7, 2022 Agenda (PDF) March 24, 2022 (Special Meeting) Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) March 3, 2022 Agenda (PDF) February 3, 2022 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) January 6, 2022 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) December 2, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) November 4, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) October 7, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) September 2, 2021 / Virtural Meeting Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
2020-2021 (Note: NPS SEAC meetings for SY 2020-2021 were all held virtually through Zoom due to the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to implement Norfolk Public Schools’ safety mitigation efforts.)
June 3, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) May 6, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) April 1, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) March 11, 2021 *Rescheduled from 3/4/21 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) February 11, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) January 7, 2021 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) December 3, 2020 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
March 31, 2020 Agenda (PDF) February 6, 2020 Agenda (PDF) January 9, 2020 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) December 5, 2019 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) September 12, 2019 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF) August 22, 2019 Agenda (PDF) Minutes (PDF)
The NPS SEAC welcomes public comment at each of its regular meetings. Public comments submitted in writing must be submitted by the close of business (4:30 p.m.) the day prior to a scheduled regular meeting. Public comments may be submitted using either of the below options:
- Online: https://forms.gle/kXpqxuedJGNPG1Fn6
- Emailed to email@example.com
- Fax: (757) 628-3825
- Mail: Norfolk SEAC, 800 E. City Hall Avenue, Suite 800, Norfolk, VA 23510
- In-Person during the Public Comment period of a regular meeting
Note: Please include the heading/subject: “NPS SEAC Public Comment” in your emailed, faxed, or mailed comments.