Phone: 757-628-3994 / 757-756-6018
Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Carlos J. Clanton, Member
Elected to the Board: July 1, 2018
Term Expires: Dec. 31, 2027
Carlos Clanton is proud to serve the dynamic communities of Ward 3 on the Norfolk Public School Board. Carlos’ election to the Board in May of 2018 follows a career championing for our city’s schoolchildren. He believes that together, with the right leadership, we can ensure that every student in Norfolk has the opportunity to succeed. Born and raised in the Park Place and Lambert’s Points neighborhoods of Norfolk, he is committed to achieving educational equity for every student in Norfolk Public Schools (NPS). At a young age, a strong family, excellent teachers, and influential mentors instilled in him a love of learning and a deep appreciation for education. A graduate of Maury High School, a former NPS Administrator, national and local community leader, Carlos understands the value of quality education and the role it plays in building healthy communities. His experiences in the classroom as both a student and an administrator form his belief that various political, social, and economic factors can often undermine the community-wide goal of providing quality public education to every student. This is unacceptable to Carlos because he believes equal access to quality education is a fundamental human right and is the foundation of building active and productive citizens.
He ran and was elected to the Norfolk School Board because he was ready to leverage his voice, passion, experience, skills, and unique background to continue to serve as a Champion for Public Education and advocate for every student to have equal access to high-quality education; no matter their neighborhood or learning ability. As a Norfolk Public School Board Member, Carlos has focused on increasing parent and community engagement, making the school district more accountable and transparent, protecting our most vulnerable students, directing more resources to schools, and bringing a new spirit of partnership and collaboration to Norfolk Public Schools. He was elected by his peers to serve as the Board Vice-Chairman (’18 – ’20), as well as he serves as Co-Chair of the Legislative Advocacy Committee, Co-Chair of the School Facilities Committee (’18 – ’20), and member of the Board Agenda Planning Committee. Carlos represents the Board as a member of The Virginia Governor’s School for the Art’s Regional Board, where he serves as Board Chairman and is the first and only GSA Alumnus to serve on the Board. Additionally, he represents the School Board as a member of the SECEP Regional Governance Board.
Carlos holds a bachelor’s degree from Old Dominion University, is currently completing his master’s in public administration from Old Dominion University and possesses a Certificate of Nonprofit Management from Tidewater Community College. Carlos has served as the Norfolk Division Director of the Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce making him the youngest (at 24 years old) and the first African American to hold that position.
Carlos has recently served on the boards of the Urban League of Hampton Roads, National Urban League Board of Trustees, President of the National Urban League Young Professionals. He is also proud to serve as the Program Coordinator for the Alpha Academy & Scholars male mentoring program of Alpha Phi Alpha, Fraternity, Inc. Alpha Phi Lambda Chapter.
Carlos is the proud uncle of three NPS Students, Keshaun (c/o 2019), Kori, and Lon’Dyn. To them, he is affectionately known as Uncle “C.” Still, for the more than 30,000 students, their parents, the more than 5,000 NPS teachers, staff members, and citizens of the City of Norfolk, he strives to be known as a “Champion for Quality Public Education” as a member of the Norfolk School Board.
Committee and Regional Board Assignments
- Policy Committee Meeting (Co-Chair ’20 – current)
- Legislative Affairs (Co-Chair ’18 – current)
- School Facilities and Construction Committee, (Co-Chair ’18 – ’20)
- School Board Agenda Planning, (Member ’18 – ’20)
- The Governor’s School for the Arts Regional Board, (Member ’18 - ‘19, Vice-Chairman ’19 - ’20, Chairman ’20 – current)
- SECEP Regional Board, (Member ’18 – current)
- VSBA (Virginia School Boards Association) Voting Delegate (2018, 2019 & 2020)
- National School Boards Association
- Virginia School Boards Association
- CUBE (Council of Urban Boards of Education)
- Council of Great City Schools
- National Urban League Young Professionals, Immediate Past President
- New Calvary Baptist Church, Norfolk, VA
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Alpha Phi Lambda Chapter
- Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity, Honorary Lifetime Member
- Virginia Opera Association (Adult Chorus – Principal 2nd Tenor)
- Maury High School c/o 1998
- The Virginia Governor’s School for the Arts c/o 1998
- Old Dominion University B.S. Training Specialist
- Old Dominion University M.P.A. (Masters of Public Administration) FA’ 23
- Tidewater Community College – Certificate in Nonprofit Management
Awards & Recognition
- 2019, 2020 VSBA School Board Member Achievement Award
- 2019 ENA – Norfolk Appreciation Award
- 2018 “Anchor of the Community Award” – Norfolk Admirals