About the Program
The Medical and Health Specialties Program at Maury High School is a unique program offering opportunities to highly motivated high school students seriously considering a career in the dramatically expanding fields of medicine and healthcare. Classes are offered on the campuses of Maury High School and Eastern Virginia Medical School and other community sites as program needs dictate.
General Requirements (All high school programs)
- Rising 9th grader and City of Norfolk resident
- Positive attendance and discipline history*
- Strong standardized test scores (must pass all 7th grade SOLs to be considered)
- At least two positive teacher recommendations (Math, English, and one other. For IB Programme applicants, the 3rd must be a world languages teacher)
- School counselor recommendation
*Extenuating circumstances may be considered. The application includes space for explanations of extenuating circumstances, as needed.
- Minimum “B” average in 7th grade and first two quarters of 8th grade required
- 1 high school credit in Algebra I
- 1 additional high school credit (preferred: Honors Biology or Honors Earth Science)
- Entrance exam and essay (invitations for qualifying students will be sent after the initial online application is reviewed)
Prior to beginning the program, students must:
- Attend half-day orientation program in August 2024