Norfolk Public Schools is proud to offer a newcomer program for our English Learners who are newly arrived to US schools and have limited English proficiency. Our Newcomer Program is held at the esteemed Norview High School, Home of the Pilots!
If a student is eligible to attend the Newcomer Program At Norview High School, they will receive the following supports and opportunities:
- 90-minute ESL classes every day, or every other day, depending on English Proficiency Level
- 3.5 full-time ESL teachers to provide support to students during ESL class and content classes
- Students are encouraged to participate in all extra-curricular clubs, sports, and activities provided at the school
- After School tutoring is available
- Students will be able to receive foreign language credits for their ESL courses to help them towards earning an advanced diploma
- Students not zoned for Norview High School will be provided bus transportation to attend
We hold information and orientation sessions in August for families and students. Be on the lookout for more information!
If you have any questions about the program, contact:
Meredith Hobson, senior coordinator of ESL and World Languages