Norfolk Public Schools (NPS) has collaborated with the consulting firm Cooperative Strategies to develop the school division’s long-range master facility plan to rebuild and renovate Norfolk’s aging schools and facilities. Currently, the 49 schools and student centers operating within the school division have an average age of more than 50 years.
As part of these efforts, Cooperative Strategies examined each school’s building utilization as well as the current and projected enrollment. HBA Architecture completed a school-by-school condition assessment. A steering committee comprised of parents, community members and NPS staff provided input to inform the development of the master plan.
This process resulted in a comprehensive report from Cooperative Strategies. Click here to view the full, 255-page report submitted in July 2021.
The School Board of the City of Norfolk reviewed a facilities master plan at its meeting on July 7, 2021. Cooperative Strategies presented its facilities master plan/implementation recommendations to the School Board at the February 4, 2022 board retreat.
Additional materials including meetings from this process are available to view:
- Steering Committee Virtual Meeting – March 23 from 6 pm – 8 pm: Click Here
- Virtual Community Meeting 1 – April 13 from 6 pm - 8 pm, Zoom recording: Click Here
- Virtual Community Meeting 2 - April 15 from 6 pm - 8 pm, Zoom recording: Click Here
- Review of Committee Recommendations (internal meeting with NPS staff) - April 28 - 29
- Steering Committee Virtual Meeting – May 10 from 6pm- 8pm: Click Here
NPS Facility Master Plan - Community Survey
Stakeholders of Norfolk Public School played an important role in the development of the final recommendations. The result of the survey can be found below.