About the Program
The Academy of Leadership and Military Science is a collaborative venture between Norfolk Public Schools and a number of community, private sector, government, higher education, and military agencies. The small learning community of the Academy includes cluster scheduling of all core, foreign language, naval science and leadership classes, as well as year-round internships with community partners.
General Requirements (All high school programs)
- Rising 9th grader and City of Norfolk resident
- Positive attendance and discipline history*
- Strong standardized test scores (must pass all 7th grade SOLs to be considered)
- At least two positive teacher recommendations (Math, English, and one other. For IB Programme applicants, the 3rd must be a world languages teacher)
- School counselor recommendation
*Extenuating circumstances may be considered. The application includes space for explanations of extenuating circumstances, as needed.
- Minimum “C” average in 7th grade and first two quarters of 8th grade required
- Interview and essay (invitations for qualifying students will be sent after the initial online application is reviewed)
- Prior to beginning the program, students must:
- Have a current sports physical
- Attend Summer Orientation Camp (Summer 2024)