About the Program
The Academy of the Arts and S.T.E.A.M. Program is designed to provide students with in-depth exposure to the arts (dance, art, vocal, theatre arts, instrumental and multimedia) through a rigorous, challenging curriculum that will meet the academic, leadership and artistic needs of high school students. Program students are provided opportunities to develop their strategic thinking, problem-solving, and leadership skills through an intensive interdisciplinary program of study.
General Requirements (All high school programs)
- Rising 9th grader and City of Norfolk resident
- Positive attendance and discipline history*
- Strong standardized test scores (must pass all 7th grade SOLs to be considered)
- At least two positive teacher recommendations (Math, English, and one other. For IB Programme applicants, the 3rd must be a world languages teacher)
- School counselor recommendation
*Extenuating circumstances may be considered. The application includes space for explanations of extenuating circumstances, as needed.
- Minimum “B” average in 7th grade and first two quarters of 8th grade required
- Audition/Portfolio and essay (invitations for qualifying students will be sent after the initial online application is reviewed)