Azalea Gardens Middle School serves a diverse population of students in Grades 6 through 8. We focus on reading and writing across the content areas using Drop Everything and Read, a common writing rubric, Write to Learn, and Achieve 3000.
All students receive their best learning opportunities through teachers who are experiencing their best teaching opportunities because of the support, resources, and increased skills that they receive from the leadership of Azalea Gardens Middle School and Norfolk Public Schools.
All administrators, teachers, and staff have high expectations for the success of all students, being committed to the idea and philosophy that all students, through their teachers’ support and guidance, will improve their learning and achieve at high levels, ALL meaning ALL.
All members of the Azalea Gardens Middle School family will know that they are a part of a family of high expectancy, high loyalty, high commitment, high resiliency, and high energy where the best is expected from everyone and the best is given to everyone.
It is the mission of Azalea Gardens Middle School to provide all students with the best learning opportunities and resources possible. This we do in order to develop their best academic and interpersonal skills which will enable them to attain their highest potential in the pursuit of excellence as they transition to high school and beyond.
In attainment of this mission we will increase academic achievement of all students by raising the floor and the ceiling, having great emphasis on the raising of the floor in order to close the achievement gaps among the learners.
Ensuring that all students, through a powerfully positive mindset, increase and maximize their academic achievement, we are developing students who will continue their lifelong learning in this proudly diverse community and all over the world.
Our Instructional Focus
The instructional focus of Azalea Gardens Middle School is for all students to show measurable growth in reading, writing, and learning for excellence through the implementation of a school wide focus on reading and writing across the content areas as measured by SOL scores, a common writing rubric, and STAR reading.
Our SMARTe Goals
For the 2020-2021 school year, at least 85% of Azalea Gardens Middle Students will pass all of their SOL tests. Of the remaining 15%, students who scored between 300-399 will obtain a gain of 50 points, and students who scored below 299 will obtain a gain of 75 points. Each semester, 100% of AGMS students will produce for their writing portfolio at least one writing sample which scores an 8 or higher on our district-wide, 12-point writing scale. By June of 2020, students who score at or above the STAR reading benchmark will increase their score by at least one grade level. 50% of students scoring below the STAR reading benchmark will meet the benchmark, and the remaining 50% will increase by one STAR reading tier.