Adult Basic Education
This Adult Basic Education/ General Education program is designed to meet the needs of adults who have less than a ninth-grade education. Any person 18 years old who desires to improve basic skills in reading, grammar, writing, and mathematics may enroll. This FREE program will help students prepare for entrance to a high school diploma or a GED preparatory class.
Eligibility: ABE – Adults with less than a ninth-grade education.
Tuition: ABE – Instruction is FREE.
Time: Tues/Thurs, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
First Semester Classes: October 3, 2022 - January 27, 2023
Second Semester Classes: February 15, 2023 – June 16, 2023
Granby High Evening School GED Program
Phone: 757.451.4110 ext. 1013027
Time: Tues/Thurs: 6:00-8:00 p.m
Tuition: GED instruction is free
Requirements are listed below the GED statistics provided by the Virginia Department of Education. For more information, call the Department of Career and Technical Education and Adult Education Services at 757.892.3964. extension 3210
Many adults can pass the GED test in 90 days or less. The Virginia Department of Education offers GED classes at convenient locations across Virginia. Instructions and textbooks are free.
Encourage someone you know to take the first step to become a GED graduate.
Requirements for Entering the GED Program
- The adult learner will be between 18 and 65 years of age.
- The adult learner will be employed or able to be employed.
- The adult learner will establish follow-up goals:
- Obtain employment
- Retain employment
- Advance to post-secondary education or training
- Obtain GED or secondary diploma
- The adult learner will improve the skills needed to take the English version of the GED tests, including literature, language, math, science, social studies, and writing skills, within the prescribed time frame.
- The adult learner will develop leadership, employability, and life skills through career planning (Workforce Essentials Skills curricula recommended).
- The adult learner will maintain regular attendance in GED initiative classes.
- The adult learner will explore post-secondary opportunities for education or training.