The mission of Norfolk Public Schools, the cornerstone of a proudly diverse community, is to ensure that all students maximize their academic potential, develop skills for lifelong learning and are successful contributors to a global society, as distinguished by: • Courageous advocacy for all students
• Family and community investment
• Data-driven personalized learning
• Strong and effective leadership teams
• Shared responsibility for teaching and learning
• Access to rigorous and rewarding college and career readiness opportunities
Board & Division Priorities
• Ensure full accreditation
• Increase academic achievement of all students
• Improve climate, safety & attendance
• Become a School Board of Distinction
• Promote Norfolk Public Schools to reflect outstanding accomplishments of staff, teachers and students
• Develop and coordinate a capital improvement plan for facilities and technology to enhance teaching and learning
• Attract, retain, and help to develop strong academic families and highly qualified teachers and staff
What's Happening in NPS
Wednesday, March 4 : Early release day for students
Wednesday, March 4 : School Board public hearing on the division’s proposed 2015-2016 Operating Budget, 7 p.m., Central Administration Building, 800 E. City Hall Ave., 12th floor. Click here to learn more about the budget, to read highlights and to access the full budget book. The public hearing will be preceded by a Board work session beginning at 2:30 p.m., same location. The work session will be streamed (www.npsk12.com) and broadcast (Cox Ch. 47) live.
Friday March 6 : Tarrallton Elementary School will celebrate its 50th Anniversary on Friday March 6th at 5:30 p.m. with a “Diversity Day” highlighting diverse cultures and cuisines from several countries for parents, students and staff to enjoy as part of a National PTA grant entitled “Take Your Family to School Week”.
Thursday & Friday, March 5-6: Full school days for students (previously scheduled as professional learning days for staff) as make-up days for recent inclement weather school closures.
Monday, March 9 :Beginning this date, 10 minutes will be added to the end of each school day through the end of the year to make up for missed instructional time due to snow days Feb. 25-27. Check your school schedule here and add 10 minutes.
Friday, March 13: Informal Progress Reports (elementary school) and Interim Evaluations (middle and high school) will be distributed to students.