Help Desk and Customer Support
What is the Helpdesk?
The Helpdesk is the hub for the Information Technology Division to provide technological service to all faculty, staff and students throughout Norfolk Public Schools. The Helpdesk is the single point of contact for all users to report issues with the hardware, software products, and network that are supported in our district. The Helpdesk is the first line of support for our organization and sets the level of expectation with the customer. The Helpdesk can resolve some of the issues immediately, and when more help is required the created work tickets for the Site Engineers and Central Admin Engineers. This helps the user get the most out of the technology provided.
Ticket requests are received and logged into the Helpdesk System from e-mails, telephone calls, the Web portal, and voicemail messages. It is the Helpdesk’s goal to ensure received tickets are listed correctly to the proper Site, Person, and Priority level. The Helpdesk Priority Rubric establishes timelines for ticket completion based on the Impact, Issue, Person, and Place. Site Engineers use the Helpdesk System to monitor issues, track their work, and determine the plan for the day.
Why Do We Need the Helpdesk?
IT support for the hardware, and software that departments and educational facilities are using is continuing to grow, and the rate of growth has made providing support in an organized and timely manner more challenging. With the Helpdesk System we hope to:
- Improve communication with the people we support
- Provide a growing knowledgebase of solutions searchable by users to help them to better help themselves
- Better prioritize incoming requests so that the most critical issues are addressed first
- Identify recurring patterns of problems and issues so that we can more effectively address the root causes of the problems, by providing training, equipment, or consulting to our users and our staff
- Identify new service and technology needs so that we can proactively provide the technologies, support, and services the NPS programs and departments need
- Ensure that the Site Engineers can properly plan the day to provide support to the customers
- Support the Education of the Future
Department Location and Hours of Operation
The office of the Helpdesk is located on the 8th floor of the Central Administration Building.
Information Division Helpdesk
800 E. City Hall Ave
Suite 800 A
Norfolk, VA 23510
Hours of Operation
Helpdesk – Telephone 7:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Helpdesk – Tech Support CAB 7:30 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Helpdesk – Tech Site Support 7:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday
Mr. Wyatt Binkley
Technical Support Supervisor
Hours of Operation
Telephone: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
Tech Support CAB: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
Tech Site Support: 7:00 am – 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday