Tue Jun 18, 2013
Fri Jun 07, 2013
Mon Jun 10, 2013
The deadline for candidates to apply to become the next Superintendent of Norfolk Public Schools has closed, and the School Board reports that it has received 75 applications.
The Board's search firm, Ray & Associates, is scheduled to provide a shorter list of candidates who meet the Board's criteria by April 10, 2012. The Board has set target dates for the first round of interviews, April 14-16, 2012.
The Board is still determining how to further involve the public in the selection process. So far, the public has been asked to give input via a survey, two forums and e-mail.
Norfolk Public Schools seeks a superintendent with experience, and who has a proven history of:
* unrelenting focus and success in the enhancement of student academic and non-academic performance, especially in identifying and closing or narrowing achievement gaps.
* leadership skills required to respond to the challenges presented by an ethnically and culturally diverse, urban community.
* translating vision into actions that lead to measurable results.
* leading a large organization dedicated to the goals of continuous academic and non-academic improvement.
* leading with a strong commitment to both equity and excellence.
* speaking, listening and writing with depth, substance and clarity to diverse stakeholders.
* using strong hiring practices that assess, build and develop a highly effective management team capable of advancing the district vision.
* building a positive culture and support for teachers, students, staff and community.
* using data-driven decision-making within the context of comprehensive monitoring and accountability systems to enhance student achievement.
* broadening and improving partnerships between the board and internal and external stakeholders, to include the business community and higher education.
* strategic leadership in the areas of academics, technology, finance and operations.
* improving student behavior and discipline.